October 13-16th, 2022
Course and Exam Cost:
Early bird registration before August 1st
- $450 for non members
- $400 for members
- $350 for judges that are coming back
- $300 for judges that served at least one event
Registration after August 1st
- $500 for non members
- $450 for members
- $400 for judges that are coming back
- $350 for judges that served at least one event
NOTE: Space is limited to 50 participants
- Official USDLDF Lion Dance Judge Certification, upon successful completion of the exam.
- Course materials.
- Course and Exam cost.
- Certificate of participation
- Official USDLDF Polo Shirt (1)
- USDLDF Lion Dance Judge Certification is valid for 5 years.
- Course and materials will all be in English.
- USDLDF National Lion Dance Certified Judges have the opportunity to serve as judges in the 2022 Phoenix Lion Dance Championships, which includes lodging and airfare stipend.
About the Instructors:
Master Jeffrey Tan
- Head Coach of the Wen Yang Sports Association (Singapore)
- International Dragon & Lion Dance Federation Executive Committee Member
- International Dragon & Lion Dance Federation Vice Chairman of Judging Committee.
Master Yu-Hsiang Nien
- Associate Professor, Department of Sports Performing Arts, University of Taipei.
- Judging Committee Chairman, Dragon & Lion Dance Federation of Asia.
- Judging Committee Chairman, Chinese Taipei Dragon & Lion Dance Federation.
– Proper conduct of a lion dance judge.
– Judging panel organization structure.
– Motivation and leadership.
– Communication methods.
– How to keep all members on the team equally focused.
– How to identify correct posture for lion head and lion tail.
– How to see errors made by competitors and how to correctly score them.
– How to judge and score music (drummers, cymbals and gong).
– Understand the different types of deductions and how to identify them correctly.
These topics will be covered in both theory and practice and the focus will be on teaching judges how to score. Prior experience and knowledge in the art of lion dance is necessary to attend this event.
- Must be at least 21 years of age to become a Certified Scoring Judge. You may take the course and examination if you are between the ages of 18-20, but you will need to wait until the age of 21 to serve as a Scoring Judge.
- Must have previous experience in leading and teaching a lion dance team.
NOTE: Candidates aged 18 to 20 may audit the course for the purpose of self-enrichment. Also, if you are between the ages of 18 to 20, you can take the certification exam, if you pass, you can assist the Head Judge at the main table at competitions, once you turn 21 you can serve as a full-fledged Scoring Judge.
- Thursday, October 13th: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Friday, October 14th: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Saturday, October 15th: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday, October 16th: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
NOTE: There will be a lunch break between 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm on each day. There will also be a 15 minute break in the morning session and one in the afternoon.
Please Find Your Shirt Size: