The United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation over the past five years has been committed to producing quality judge education and enrichment programs aimed at supporting tournament organizers, competitive teams and the community as a whole. We are proud to present our Second USDLDF National Lion Dance Judge Course & Certification, to be held October 13th through the 16th in Madison, WI.
SIGN UP HERE
The course will be taught by Master Jeffrey Tan (Singapore) and Master Yu-Hsiang Nien (Taiwan). Both have extensive knowledge, experience and service in judging. Both are chairmen in judging committees of the International Dragon & Lion Dance Federation (Master Tan) and Dragon and Lion Dance Federation of Asia (Master Nien).
The National Lion Dance Judge Course & Certification is designed to prepare judges to become efficient, effective and fair in national level competitions throughout the USA.
While the course itself is specific to judges, the content can also be beneficial to coaches and team leaders who simply want to learn more about the rules of sport lion dancing to make their teams more competitive.
About the Instructors:
Master Jeffrey Tan
- Head Coach of the Wen Yang Sports Association (Singapore)
- International Dragon & Lion Dance Federation Executive Committee Member
- International Dragon & Lion Dance Federation Vice Chairman of Judging Committee.
Master Yu-Hsiang Nien
- Associate Professor, Department of Sports Performing Arts, University of Taipei.
- Judging Committee Chairman, Dragon & Lion Dance Federation of Asia.
- Judging Committee Chairman, Chinese Taipei Dragon & Lion Dance Federation.
– Proper conduct of a lion dance judge.
– Judging panel organization structure.
– Motivation and leadership.
– Communication methods.
– How to keep all members on the team equally focused.
– How to identify correct posture for lion head and lion tail.
– How to see errors made by competitors and how to correctly score them.
– How to judge and score music (drummers, cymbals and gong).
– Understand the different types of deductions and how to identify them correctly.
These topics will be covered in both theory and practice and the focus will be on teaching judges how to score. Prior experience and knowledge in the art of lion dance is necessary to attend this event.
- Must be at least 21 years of age to become a Certified Scoring Judge. You may take the course and examination if you are between the ages of 18-20, but you will need to wait until the age of 21 to serve as a Scoring Judge.
- Must have previous experience in leading and teaching a lion dance team.
NOTE: Candidates aged 18 to 20 may audit the course for the purpose of self-enrichment. Also, if you are between the ages of 18 to 20, you can take the certification exam, if you pass, you can assist the Head Judge at the main table at competitions, once you turn 21 you can serve as a full-fledged Scoring Judge.
- Thursday, October 13th: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Friday, October 14th: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Saturday, October 15th: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday, October 16th: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
NOTE: There will be a lunch break between 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm on each day. There will also be a 15 minute break in the morning session and one in the afternoon.
SIGN UP HERE
Course and Exam Cost:
Early bird registration before August 1 (11:59 pm on July 31st)
- $450 for non-members
- $400 for members
- $350 for judges that are coming back
- $300 for judges that served at least one event
Registration after August 1
- $500 for non-members
- $450 for members
- $400 for judges that are coming back
- $350 for judges that served at least one event
NOTE: Space is limited to 50 participants
- Official USDLDF Lion Dance Judge Certification, upon successful completion of the exam.
- Course materials.
- Course and Exam cost.
- Certificate of participation
- Official USDLDF Polo Shirt (1)
- USDLDF Lion Dance Judge Certification is valid for 5 years.
- Course and materials will all be in English.
- USDLDF National Lion Dance Certified Judges have the opportunity to serve as judges in the 2022 Phoenix Lion Dance Championships, which includes lodging and airfare stipend.
Video Policy: No full video recordings will be allowed. Short clips, that are less than 1 minute in duration, are fine for use in content creation and social media purposes.
Location and Hotel:
Comfort Inn & Suites – Airport
4822 E Washington Ave
We have secured a great rate for the attendees at the hotel where the course will be held of $79.00 per night, hot breakfast included!
The link for the discounted reservations is HERE
NOTE: This course is open to all, USDLDF members and non-members alike are encouraged to participate.
Madison’s airport (MSN) is the closest to the hotel (only a 5 minute drive), however it is also costly to fly in. As an alternative Milwaukee’s General Mitchell Airport (MKE) is much more affordable. For participants flying in to Milwaukee the host team, Zhong Yi Kung Fu Association, will provide transportation to and from the hotel for FREE. To get this offer please send a copy of your flight schedule to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before October 1st.
SIGN UP HERE